Thanks for the support for my new blog. Herewith the next entry as promised on Chrysocolla. As said in my previous entry, is that my Malachite tumbled stone actually only have traces of Chrysocolla in it. Tumbled Chrysocolla dominant stones will look more like the following picture.
Chrysocolla (hydrated copper silicate) is a mineral with a pretty complicated formula : (Cu,Al) 2 H2 Si2 O5 (OH)4 nH2O (Copper/Aluminium, Hydrogen, Silicon, Oxygen). It is of secondary origin and forms in the oxidation zones of copper ore bodies. Associated minerals are quartz, limonite, azurite, malachite, cuprite, and other secondary copper minerals.
Below is a picture with dominant Chrysocolla and traces of Malachite.
While the following picture is Malachite with traces of Chrysocolla in it.
Following 2 pictures is Malachite with trace of Chrysocolla surrounding it in raw form.
Because of its light color, it is sometimes confused with turquoise. Commonly it occurs only as porous crusts unsuitable for gem use, but high quality, gem grade Chrysocolla can be translucent and is highly prized.
The following picture is an extremely attractive piece of jewelry I found at the Palace Gems site. It is apparently a 63.99-ct piece cut from material found in the 1950s and by Bud Standley. It is very beautiful but I’d rather not ask what is their asking price.
Chrysocolla was first used by Theophrastus in 315 B.C. and comes from the Greek chrysos, meaning “gold,” and kolla, meaning “glue,” in allusion to the name of the material used to solder gold.
Notable occurrences include Israel, Democratic Republic of Congo, Chile, Peru, Cornwall in England, and Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Zaire, Russia and Pennsylvania in the United States.
According to Judy Hall’s book – Chrysocolla is :
- A tranquil and sustaining stone
- Helps meditation and communication
- In the home, draws off negative energies of all kinds
- Beneficial to relationships that have become rocky, stabilizing and healing bot the home and interaction
- Calms, cleanses and reenergizes all the chakras and align them with the divine.
- At solar plexus draws out negative emotions such as guilt and reverses destructive emotional programming.
- At heart chakra, it heals heartache and increases the capacity to love.
- At the throat it improves communication, but also helps to discern when to keep silent.
- At the third eye it opens psychic vision
- Encourages self-awareness and inner balance, and imparts confidence and sensitivity.
- Enhances personal power and inspires creativity
- Treats arthritis, bone disease, muscle spasms, digestive tract, ulcers, blood disorder, and lung problems.
- Detoxifies liver, kidneys, and intestines
- An excellent stone for women, as it treats PMS and menstrual cramps.
- Also beneficial to metabolism